Tuesday, May 24, 2011

On With the Dance




This is my daughter with her boyfriend at her glorious birthday party.  I created this layout as a gift for her, to hold on to the memories of a wonderful evening.

I've called it "A la Danse", since dancing was a big feature.  I'm told the young people DID dance all night, or until the party room was closed.  (I must take their word for it;  I turned into a pumpkin at 12 pm.)
For this layout, I was inspired by the Parisian theme and vibrant colours of the Backstage collection by Prima.


I did some water distressing along the top and side to create a pulled-back curtain effect.  After some inking with Dusty Concord Distress Ink, I attached an amber faceted charm to a tiny ruffle made from tulle,  tucked in behind the "curtain, like a tie-back.

The die-cut frame is from Dusty Attic.  I inked it and misted it 4 or 5 different shades of blue and beige; then topped it off with Vintage Paper Distress Embossing Powder.  It was an experimental procedure (!) and I am happy with how it turned out.


The birdcage was stamped on white cardstock with Weathered Wood, trimmed, and adhered it to the lovely scroll-y cardstock piece (also from Prima).  I slipped it under the frame and added a heart locket and key.
The floral frame is a combination of my own hand-made paper flowers and gorgeous big blooms from Prima.  The leaves I found at Michael's just by chance one day - I adore their colour and the lustre.
I used a Prima pebble to make the centre of the flower at the top.  If you look closely, you can see the Folies Bergere dancer and her headdress inside the little globe.
                    
I finished the floral frame with another chipboard sticker and a tiny Eiffel Tower, in keeping with the Parisian theme.

The laser-cut flourish is from Dusty Attic.  I covered it with acrylic paints in Pesto and Cape Cod Blue.
It was a night to remember, filled with fun and a perfect way to celebrate "the age of which we do not speak". 


On with the dance! let joy be unconfined;
No sleep till morn, when Youth and Pleasure meet
To chase the glowing hours with flying feet.
~George Gordon, Lord Byron, 
Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Happy Birthday, Leigh-Ann!
                                                                                                                                                                                 


Materials List:
Prima Backstage Collection (Juliette, Celeste)
Prima glittered Cardstock Stickers
Prima Clear Stamps
Pebbles (Prima)
Flowers: Prima (Ariel)
Leaves: Prima. Temple Collection
Bling: Kaiser Craft
Letters:  7 Gypsies (Venice)
Chipboard Frame & Flourish: Dusty Attic
Metal Charm & Adornment: Tim Holtz, Idea-ology

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Fran! Well done and I enjoyed reading the creation of this piece! I am happy to see the event continues to live on through art.

    Looking forward to your next endeavors!

    Leigh-Ann

    ReplyDelete